This virtual school year is not something that would have been possible back when we were younger. Could you imagine how this would have gone over with the dial-up modems? And you could forget about accessing anything on the internet if someone needed to make a phone call on the landline. Thankfully times have changed, technology has drastically improved, math has evolved, and there are businesses like us at The 422 Sportsplex who can assist your child with all of their school year needs!
That’s right. The 422 Sportsplex has a Study Hall and Day Camp for students in grades K-12 who need a supervised, structured environment to get their school work done and have fun playing sports with their peers. Since the school year started, we have helped many kids navigate their new school set up and get them through their school day. Here are a few things we have learned through the process:
- Memorizing zoom calls and navigating school portals. Whether students are on a video call with their teachers or working independently on assignments, our staff is walking around and ensuring that students are staying focused and dedicated to their school work. We have become experts in navigating portals such as Schoology, Clever, GoogleMeet, and Classlink. (Do you think “Expert Virtual Learning Platform Navigator” is an acceptable title to put on a resume?) We keep track of who has breaks at what time, what time zoom classes are starting, and what time each student ends their school day.
- Pacing Cyber School Students. We understand that some students are learning better in these challenging times through Cyber School programs rather than synchronous online learning through a local school district. These students might have paper assignments or online work that they can do whenever they want throughout the week. In addition to communicating with parents about the child’s schedule, we’ve been able to set up a structure for these students so that they are still getting a balanced school day! For example, we have seen that a student has a packet of work that needs to be completed by the end of the week as well as 3-5 online units that need to be completed. We create a plan for each day of Study Hall so that the student is getting a sufficient amount of work done but still is able to take breaks and stay active with their peers! Also, if your child has a Physical Education component in their Cyber School, our sports activities can count for those PE hours!
- Have you tried turning it off and turning it back on again? Let’s be real…as advanced technology has become, it still has its rough spots. Forgot your Schoology login? We can fix that. Don’t remember your Zoom Meeting ID? We know how to solve the problem. Can’t hear your teacher? We can get the sound flowing! Our staff has learned the ins and outs of the technology the schools have provided them with and how to troubleshoot any issues that might arise in order to get students into class as quickly as possible.
- Dodge, Duck, Dip, Dive, and Dodge. Once the students have a break in their schedule or have completed their school work for the day, our coaches will take them out to play sports! The most popular option during the school day seems to be dodgeball. Did you know there are about 50 different ways you can play dodgeball? There’s standard dodgeball, jailbreak dodgeball, doctor/spy dodgeball, warrior dodgeball, free-for-all dodgeball…it’s like every time the kids go out to play, there’s a new version of dodgeball that was created!
- There’s nowhere better than Sportsplex Study Hall and Day Camp! At 422, we take pride in setting up each child for success in their school work. Whether they’re reading a book for Language Arts or playing Soccer for PE, school should be fun! That’s why we believe in providing a safe, structured environment for each child while giving them a place to interact with their friends and play sports. We know that everyone’s schedule is different, and that’s why we have options to meet everyone’s needs! So what are you waiting for? Sign up for a single day or full week today!