422 Sportsplex 5 on 5 Flag Football Rules and Regulations
New Winter Policy: No games will be made up due to snow cancellations. Teams will instead be given free entry into our spring tournament series.
- Individuals utilizing this facility do so at their own risk. The property owner(s), league operators, officers and owners and staff of The 422 Sportsplex assume no liability for any injuries or accidents, which may occur. Please refer to your Liability and Injury Waiver Release Forms.
- Conduct within the facility and on the field should be conducted in the spirit of good sportsmanship.
- No food, drinks, chewing tobacco, chewing gum, metal cleats permitted on playing surface. No sunflower seeds or similar type products are permitted in the facility
- No glass containers on the field or in the player boxes
- The 422 Sportsplex reserves the right to refuse play or service to anyone
Sign Up Guidelines and Fees:
- Teams sign up on a first come, first serve basis.
- Teams can sign up any time before session start date. To guarantee your team spot, a $100 nonrefundable deposit is required 30 days prior to league start date. Deposits will only be refunded if The 422 Sportsplex does not have a league spot available for your team.
- Full-payment is required before the start of your second game.
- If full payment is made after the deadline, a $50 late fee will be charged.
- If full payment is made after the deadline for individual sign-ups, a $10 late fee will be charged.
- No teams will be accepted after the first game of league play.
- Teams that are currently registered in a league at the Sportsplex may receive discounts from time to time. Any team incurring forfeiture during a previous session shall not be eligible for discounts.
- No individual will be allowed to participate in any league games, practice session, tournament, clinic, open pick-up game, or other activities until a release form has been properly completed and signed.
- Individuals that sign up will be placed in a 422 Sportsplex database where other teams may contact you to recruit you for their team. If you still are not on a team, the 422 Sportsplex will create a team from all the individuals in the database. If there are not enough players to create a team, the Sportsplex will reimburse your deposit.
Player rosters must be turned in prior to the first league game. Men’s Flag Football rosters will be limited to 12 players, with no guest players allowed. Changes will be permitted prior to the third game. Failure to comply will result in forfeiture of all games played with illegal player(s). Players may only be added later if a player is injured and removed from the roster for the remainder of the session. Proof of injury must be provided. Acceptable proof shall be a doctor’s note. At the discretion of management, a team may claim hardship and add one player after the third game for a fee of $25.
Each player must have a completed membership/waiver prior to the first week of playing. No players are permitted to play with out a membership/waiver.
Levels of Competition:
The facility will offer the following divisional structure for adult teams, if enough teams are available:
- Division 1- Premier division for teams with exceptional skills. College and former Professional football players allowed in this league.
- Division 2- Recreational division for the average fan of the game that has not necessarily played organized football.
The facility will offer the following divisional structure for youth teams, if enough teams are available:
- Division 1- Premier division for the most advanced players and teams. High School football players must play in this league.
- Division 2- For recreational players and beginners that have not necessarily played in organized football.
The 422 Sportsplex reserves the right to make the necessary changes within league divisions to ensure an equal level of ability and competition.
Players may only be on one roster in a given division and league. Players may participate in more than one division and league. A lower division team may not field more than three players from an upper division. The 422 Sportsplex reserves the right to determine if a player is considered too advanced for a given division and remove the individual from the team roster. This is done in the spirit of maintaining parity in a given division.
Any players with current or former Collegiate or Professional experience must play Division 1. Any Collegiate players that want to play in a lower division must get permission from the league commissioner. No professional player, current or former, can play in a division lower than Division 1. Any professional players, current or former, caught playing in a lower division will be removed from that team’s roster and that team will forfeit every game in which that player played.
- Rubber molded cleats or turf shoes are allowed. No metal cleats allowed.
- Teams must be dressed in matching colored jerseys. The first team listed, the home team, is required to switch jerseys in the event that two teams have the same colors.
- Each player on the field must wear a belt Sonic Tag-a-Flags. (Available at the 422 Sportsplex). The flags must be of contrasting color with the pants. The 422 Sportsplex will provide each team with flag belts (a player’s license may be required to hold in exchange for the flags). These belts will be returned to the front desk immediately after the game. Any team that does not return a belt will be charged a $15 fine for a new flag. If the flag is returned within the same week of play, the fine will be reduced to $5. All fines must be paid prior to next game or team will forfeit.
- No article of clothing may cover any portion of a player’s flag (Excludes belts).
- The use of headgear, of any nature, shoulder pads, body pads, or shoes with metal tipped cleats (regardless of material) is prohibited. Additionally, any unyielding or dangerous equipment is prohibited. Players may use an ace bandage. Knee braces will be covered by a soft yielding material not to exceed 3/8″ thickness. No loose jewelry of any kind will be worn.
Game Schedule & Make-Up Games:
If a team is unable to play a scheduled game the opposing team may choose to accept a 6-0 forfeit. If both teams agree to a make-up, they will be offered possible times from the facility management office. It will be the team managers or representatives’ responsibility to coordinate and select one of the available times. The team requesting to reschedule a match must request a reschedule in writing one week prior to subject game and submit a fee of $40 (to cover lost referee fees). Failure to do so will result in the game being forfeited.
A team forfeiting a game during any one session will be subject to the following fines:
- First Forfeit- $20 fine
- Second Forfeit- $40 fine
- Third Forfeit- Termination of team participation from the session and the loss of any re-registration priority.
Fines for forfeitures must be paid prior to a team continuing the session schedule. Forfeiture will be incurred if a team has failed to field the minimum number of players within ten minutes from the start of the game clock. Teams incurring forfeitures during a session shall not be eligible for registration discount in the following session.
Any team no show will result in a 6-0 victory for opposing team and no rescheduled game will be given.
Individuals are expected to play under control and within the rules of the game, and to the best of their ability will avoid causing injury to themselves and other persons using the facility.
Referees appointed to officiate each game have complete authority on the field of play, and their decisions on points of fact connected with the game are final. Judgment calls cannot be questioned, only enforcement of the rules. Officiating will be monitored and assessed periodically and management will always try to provide quality officiating at the facility. Constructive comments regarding officiating are welcome and encouraged. Please submit any such comments in writing. Complaints regarding officials should be submitted in writing, contain points of fact, and have your name and the name of your team at the top. Do not discuss officiating or the officials with the facility staff during or immediately after your game.
The 422 Sportsplex has a ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY toward fighting. Anyone fighting will be ejected and they will be terminated from playing the rest of the session. Furthermore, the situation will be reviewed by the league commissioner to determine whether the player will be banned from the facility for more than one session. The 422 Sportsplex reserves the right to ban permanently any player involved in a fight. It is the responsibility of the player to apply for reinstatement to the facility if he or she is involved in a fight. At this time the player will receive the terms and conditions of the commissioner’s disciplinary action. Any player that does not apply for reinstatement will not be allowed back into the facility. Application for reinstatement may be subject to a fine, as determined by the league commissioner.
A player or coach sent off in (or after) a game by a referee will automatically be suspended from the next game in the session. In addition, a player will be banned from playing on any other team until the suspension has been served. If a player is ejected in the last game of a session (he/she) will be prohibited from playing in the first game after he/she registers for another session.
- Any of the following offenses will result in disciplinary action as outlined above:
- A player or coach using foul and abusive language.
- Persistent infraction of the rules after receiving a caution by the referee.
- A player or coach involved in violent conduct; (including, but not limited to: spitting, threatening, continued rough play, etc.) will be suspended as outlined above and, in addition, will be suspended for one additional game and subject to further disciplinary action as decided by the facility management.
- Assaulting an official will result in automatic suspension from any further activities at the The 422 Sportsplex. The Police will be notified of any such incident.
- Should a coach of a team be unable to control a player’s actions after he or she has been penalized or thrown out of a game the coach will also be suspended as outlined above.
- A player jumping from the player box onto the field to break up or participate in a fight will automatically be ejected from the game and will be subject to the same penalties as outlined above.
A $100 bond will be required from any team involved in an altercation where more than one player is involved in a fight. Should a bond be placed against a team, the bond must be paid prior to the team’s next game, or that game will be forfeited. The terms of the bond will be given in writing to the team. Should the team fail to adhere to the terms, the bond will be forfeited to the arena and the team’s participation will be terminated. If the team adheres to the terms of the bond, then the team will receive the $100 bond at the end of the session.
It is the responsibility of each player and the player’s team representative to be aware of the total status of their player’s infractions. Failure to comply may result in further disciplinary measures which may include suspension of the coach/rep. and forfeiture of games in which that player participated.
Intention to file a protest must be noted in writing immediately following the game. A formal written protest, must be submitted to the 422 Sportsplex within 48 hours after the end of a game. The league commissioner will review and have the final authority on all protests. ALL DECISIONS MADE BY THE COMMISSIONER ARE FINAL. Only violations of the laws of the game, rules or guidelines of the facility as published are matters for protest. Any protests regarding fielding of illegal players must be brought to the attention of the game officials prior to the suspected player(s) leaving the field of play.
The 422 Sportsplex will award winning teams with various prizes. Each first place team will receive either 12 trophies, 12 champion shirts or a 10% discount off the following session. If trophies are being ordered, they must be ordered within two weeks of the session ending.
FLAG FOOTBALL RULE BOOK
- 2 Twenty-Two minute halves, running clock
- 1 minute half time – Team not starting with ball in first half, gets ball to start
- Each team has 2 time outs per half of 30 seconds each (time out resets play clock)
- 20 second play clock
- 15 second P.A.T. play clock
- Team must have a minimum of four rostered players at the start of the game. Less than four constitutes a forfeit regardless of any game continuing.
- Clock stops at 1 minute. If the score is within 12 points at each incomplete pass, penalties, and change of possession.
- During the regular season, the mercy rule comes into effect with 5 minutes left in game and the point spread is 24pts or more. All playoff games must be played to completion. There will be no mercy rule.
- Offense begins on 3-yard line
- Team has 4 plays to cross mid field for first down and then 4 plays to score
- On fourth down offense has 2 options:
- Go for first down (if in their defensive zone). If offense doesn’t make first down whether through incompletion or inadequate yardage, defense takes over where ball carrier is down or original line of scrimmage if incompletion.
- Offense can opt to punt and the ball will be spotted at opposite 3-yard line with opposing team taking possession there.
- If the ball is intercepted, offense is spotted at end of return and offense is started.
- Ball is dead on contact with net or wall.
- Play is dead when ball carrier’s knees make contact with the ground.
- Coin toss determines who begins with ball at beginning of game, other team starts second half.
Line of Scrimmage: The offensive team must have a minimum of two players set on the line of scrimmage at the snap. One additional player may be in motion, but they do not count as a player on the line.
- There is a 7 second pass clock. The Quarterback must either throw the ball or pass the line of scrimmage before the end of the 7 sec. count.
- Option passes are allowed, 7 second rule is still in effect.
- Quarterback may run the ball at any time when line of scrimmage is not within 5 yards of midfield or end zone. However, if the Quarterback is blitzed within 5 yards of midfield or end zone he may run.
- The center is allowed to shadow the blitzing player. He can move and try to step in the path of the blitzing player, but must do so with his hand behind his back at all times. The blitzing player must try and maneuver around the center. No intentional contact is allowed between the center or the blitzing player. If there is incidental contact play will resume.
- Runners may use other teammates as set screens
- Laterals are allowed
- Everyone is eligible
- Offense may run the ball within 5 yards of midfield and 5 yards of end zone only by handing it off, or the quarterback is blitzed.
- Wall/boards are in bounds. Players may not climb the boards for any reason.
- Ball carrier may not leave his feet. NO DIVING, NO JUMPING, NO HURDLING ETC.
- On a play action/fake handoff the opposing team may come across the line of scrimmage before the seven yard rule to play the potential run, however they may not rush the quarterback.
- The spot of the ball is determined by where your flags were pulled not were the ball is when your flags are pulled. This goes for Safeties, touchdowns, and first downs.
- 6 points for a Touchdown
- 2 points for safety
- 2 points for conversion after touchdown, ball is spotted on 8 yard line.
- 1 point for conversion after touchdown, ball is spotted on 4 yard line.
- Defense players may jam the receivers at the up to 5 yards from the original line of scrimmage.
- Defense may jam the snapper 1 yard after the snap, once out of snapping position.
- Player is tackled when one flag is pulled. Exception: In order to achieve a first down or touchdown, the ball carrier’s flags and the ball must cross the plane of the first down line or the goal line.
- After pulling a flag, defender must raise the flag above his head.
- Defender must hand flag back to ball carrier.
- If flag falls out before player has possession of ball they will be down with one hand touch
- If flag falls out after player has possession of ball they are down at spot of flag, unless in the opinion of the referee the player is in the clear of all players.
- Receivers may hand check off the line within the first five yards, but only with the player they line up against.
- Interceptions may be returned
- A defensive player shall not hold, grasp or obstruct the forward progress of the runner when attempting to remove the flag. Defender will avoid contact of the player when attempting to pull flag. Defenders should be reaching from the side or behind the ball carrier to grab the flag. Charging at or jumping in front of the ball carrier is prohibited. Intentionally grabbing the ball carrier’s clothing will result in a penalty added onto the end of the play.
- Any player pursuing a running or throwing quarterback may only pull flags. No contact, incidental or otherwise is allowed. Defense may only leave their feet to block a pass, but if they make contact with the quarterback before, during or after the ball is released, (whether ball is tipped or not) it will result in a major penalty.
- Offsides- 5 yards or half the distance replay down
- Offensive pass interference- 10 yards from original spot or half the distance replay down
- Defensive Pass interference – Ball moves to spot of foul automatic first down
- Delay of game – 5 yards or half the distance
- Unnecessary roughness – o Defense: 15 yards automatic first down
- Offense: 15 yards loss of down
- Offset penalties – replay down
- Flag guarding
- Offense: 5 yards from spot of the foul and the play will be whistled dead.
- Defense after interception: 5 yards from spot of foul begin offense
- Acts of tackling, cheap shots, elbowing or an unsportsmanlike act will not be tolerated. Player may be ejected from the game and may result in unsportsmanlike penalty.
- Obstruction of a player’s forward progress is a 10 yd. penalty from the spot of the foul. Automatic first down.
- Any player instigating or encouraging a fight, taunting or throwing a punch will be immediately removed from the game.
- Trash talking is illegal and may result in unsportsmanlike penalty. Any one verbally abusing a player, spectator, referee or employee of the 422 Sportsplex will be immediately removed from the game.
- Personal fouls/unsportsmanlike penalties will result in an automatic first down and 15 yards from the end of the play. Player assessed the foul will be removed from the game for the remainder of the half, or longer.
- All teams must have matching shirts with contrasting numbers on back of at least 6” in height. Teams will use Sonic Tag-a-Flags. (Available at the 422 Sportsplex)
- Ball will be provided by each team, each team uses their ball for one half.
- If games are cancelled due to weather related cancellations, Sportsplex will not make those games up. There are no refunds or credits.
Please contact the 422 Sportsplex at firstname.lastname@example.org or 610-323-9600